Mohawk Valley Community College recently hosted the 37th annual MATHCounts Competition on its Utica Campus.
MATHCounts is a national extracurricular mathematics enrichment program for middle school students that provides engaging math programs for all ability levels to build confidence and improve attitudes about math and problem-solving. Students in grades six through eight compete individually and in teams in four rounds: Sprint, Target, Team, and Countdown.
The competition featured teams from New Hartford Central School, Clinton Central School, Sauquoit Valley Central School, Holland Patent Central School, and Adirondack Central School. The following students were winners of the individual competition:
* First Place: Richard Chen, New Hartford Central School
* Second Place: Deron Howe, Holland Patent Central School
* Third Place: Logan Cuda, Holland Patent Central School
The following were winners of the team competition:
* First Place: Holland Patent Central School
* Second Place: New Hartford Central School
* Third Place: Clinton Central School
The event was sponsored by the College Science and Technology Entry Program (CSTEP) and the Mohawk Valley Engineering Executive Council (MVEEC).