What: LEGO® Robotics STEM Camp, a Griffiss Institute and AFRL/RI STEM Outreach Summer Program
Where: Griffiss Institute, 725 Daedalian Drive, Rome, New York
When: Monday, June 25 – Friday, June 29, 2018; 9 am – 4 pm (M-Th), 9 am – 12 noon (F)
Who: Students, grades 5-8
Why: LEGO® Robotics Camp will teach students how to build LEGO® Mindstorms® EV3 robots, using curriculum from the LEGO® Education department. Students will learn how to complete a robot build, attach sensors, attach motors, use gears, and program the robots.
Topics covered include:
- How to use gear ratios
- Locomotion and energy
- How to build and control a robot while putting it through a series of real world challenges
- Building individual and teamwork skills
Best Photo Opportunities:
- Wednesday, June 27 & Thursday, June 28; 9 am – 4 pm: Active and interesting robotics projects on large game boards
- Friday, June 29; 11 am – 12 noon: Open House open to parents, family members, local dignitaries, and media. This is an opportunity to see what the students have been working on throughout the week, and a chance for the students to showcase their work.
For your convenience, here is a list of the scheduled 2018 STEM Camps:
- LEGO® Robotics Camp: June 25 – June 29, 2018
- Engineering Camp: Session A: July 9 – 13, 2018
- Small UAS / Drone Camp: Session A: July 16 – 20, 2018
- Engineering Camp: Session B: July 23 – 27, 2018
- Cyber Camp: July 30 – August 3, 2018
- Small UAS / Drone Camp: Session B: August 6 – 10, 2018
- Arduino Camp: August 6 – 10, 2018
- NEW for 2018! ROPES Entrepreneur Camp: August 13 – 17, 2018
Feel free to stop in any time throughout any our camps. Times are 9 am – 4 pm each day*, except Fridays, which end at noon. You will be able to talk to students, instructors and mentors.**
* Small UAS /Drone Camp will not take place at Griffiss Institute. This camp will take place at the following:
- Day 1 – NY UAS Test Site Operations Center (Rome)
- Day 2 – 4 – MVCC sUAS Lab (Utica Campus, Academic Building, Room AB220)
- Day 5 – NY UAS Test Site Nose Dock (Past Bernie Bus, Rome)
* *Please Be Advised: Students with a red nametag mean that their parents did not sign the media release, and therefore cannot partake in interviews and/or photos. Students with a yellow name tags mean their parents signed a limited release, allowing only Griffiss Institute to use photos of these students. Students with a green name tag, are fair game for photos and interviews. Thank you for your understanding.
About the Griffiss Institute
Established in 2002 by the State of New York, the Griffiss Institute is an independent 501(c)(3) entity governed by a board of directors. By partnering the Air Force Research Laboratory Information Directorate (AFRL/RI) and its technologies with private industry and academia, the Griffiss Institute is able to facilitate and grow the technology base of the Upstate New York region. The institute has created a collaborative research environment accessible to AFRL/RI that provides an environment conducive to the growth of technology and ideas, while creating new business opportunities.
To learn more about the Griffiss Institute, please visit www.griffissinstitute.org
About AFRL/RI STEM Outreach Program
AFRL/RI has exhibited commitment, strength and resilience in efforts to “Improve STEM Instruction” and “Increase and Sustain Youth and Public Engagement in STEM “. From grade school to graduate school, AFRL/Rl’s STEM programs have extended the demographic and geographic coverage of STEM participation across New York State and around the Nation. AFRL/Rl ‘s scientists and engineers are creating “eureka moments” and simulating “real world” experiences with hands-on, project-based STEM programs.
To learn more about the Air Force STEM program, please visit www.griffissinstitute.org/AirForceSTEM