Comedy poking fun at the world of community theatre seeks a variety of actors
ILION, NY – The Ilion Little Theatre will hold auditions for the comedy Play On! – Tuesday, August 22 at 7 pm and Wednesday, August 23 at 7 pm at the theatre.
Written by Rick Abbot and directed by Stephen Wagner, Play On! is a hilarious comedy about a community theater group trying desperately to put on a play in spite of maddening interference from a haughty author who keeps revising the script. Act 1 is a rehearsal of the dreadful show, Act 2 is the near disastrous dress rehearsal, and the final act is the actual performance in which anything that can go wrong does.
Three males and seven females are sought for a variety of roles as the cast and crew of the play within the play:
- Aggie Manville— a stage manager and prompter
- Geraldine “Gerry” Dunbar— a community theatre director (this could also be a male role)
- Henry Benish— a character actor, plays “Lord Dudley”
- Polly Benish— a character actress, plays “Lady Margaret”
- Marla “Smitty” Smith— a supporting player, plays “Doris the maid”
- Saul Watson— plays “Doctor Rex Forbes,” a villain
- Billy Carewe— plays “Stephen Sellers,” a young man
- Violet Imbry— plays “Diana Lassiter,” a young woman
- Louise Peary— a sound, lighting, and scenic technician
- Phyllis Montague— a novice playwright in the community
Ages for most roles are flexible and actors will be asked to read scenes from the play.
The performance dates for Play On! will be October 6, 7, 8, 13, 14 and 15. Play On! will open the Little Theatre’s 2017-2018 production season.
The Ilion Little Theatre is located at 13 Remington Ave in the Village of Ilion, directly behind Remington Arms.
Ilion Little Theatre. Ilion Little Theatre has entertained residents of the Mohawk Valley every year since 1924. The founders first met as a private club, rehearsing and performing in the attic of Lucille Worden’s home, and then for a time at the Klippel house on Barringer Road. In 1927 the group purchased the building that had served as the carriage house and stables on the Philo Remington estate. In this historic building, which has come to be referred to simply as “The Stables,” they constructed a stage and auditorium which are still in use today, although both have undergone considerable renovation. The building was placed on the national and state historical registries in 1976. The club became incorporated in 1930 as The Little Theatre Club of Ilion, NY, Inc. In 1968 the club’s performances were opened to the public through the sale of subscriptions. Today Ilion Little Theatre welcomes all adults who are interested in participating in community theater in any capacity, as either Active Members or Subscribers. The Active Members gather at a dinner meeting each month from September through May, to plan productions and to socialize. For information visit www.ilionlittletheatre.org